October 01, 2013

Gtalk Does A Lunchbox

After having watched the much talked about Lunchbox, which involves a regular dabba (lunchbox) reaching an unintended recipient, I couldn't help but compare it to the ongoing Google blunders.

In the film, following the first blunder in the otherwise impeccable dabba system in Bombay, there is an exchange of notes. And a refreshing love story between a LIC officer about to retire and a younger lass of the middle class. They never meet like George Bernard Shaw and Mrs. Patrick Campbell. In my mother's opinion, they do, since he is shown heading back with the dabba wallahs, and may possibly meet her just in time... before she leaves for Bhutan. And I can't help but smile at the thought. But then, that's another story.

What has it got to do with the Google blunders I mentioned earlier? Well, off late, Google has been sending chats between individuals to unintended recipients. And while the news suggests that this has impacted only a portion of the millions of users, I am not entirely sure. Either I am really one of the thousands of people who received a chat conversation between two other people or the number of people impacted is higher than the claim. I don't know how it did that, but the conversation was between two people I know, and took me by complete surprise.

I can tell you with certainty that Google wasn't playing cupid and shooting arrows my way. Au contraire. But then again it's not entirely impossible, right? Lunchboxes, wayward chat messages landing themselves in unintended places. Who knows where they might land, and what that might trigger, right?

No comments: